Tuesday 14 September 2010

Sod's law & dark matter (英会話)

It's nice to be given an opportunity to teach something other than English, and my eikaiwa is always a willing arena. Today's conversations:
  • The difference between compliment and flattery;
  • What "Sod's Law" is;
  • What the STV (Single Transferable Vote) is and how it is arguably a "fairer" system when compared to the "first past the post" system with respect to democratic representation;
  • What dark matter is.
Today I also started handing out my old copies of BBC Focus to my members. I was very delighted at their eager response, despite a couple of them claiming it would take them a year to understand it. I reassured them it was very much an every day person's magazine and although the concepts within can be complex, the writings are not. I'm already eagerly awaiting their feedback.

1 comment:

  1. You have to teach AV as well now :) We will vote on it in May!

    ReplyDelete