Tuesday 25 May 2010

Digging day

Today was digging day. That wasn't the official title. Nor was I told about it beforehand. When I arrived this morning I was told everyone had something to do outside, and after some questionable hand motions I released what they meant.

So all staff and students donned their work clothes and filtered into the school grounds to pull weeds and other unwanted growing things out of the ground. I bagged a nice patch on the baseball field in the sun and attacked it vigorously with a hoe. Many weeds were relocated to the “destined for a compost pile” wheelbarrow.

Later I was asked by a teacher if these sorts of voluntary activities were part of a schoolchild's life in England. I almost spat out my green tea with laughter, then composed myself and said "it's not actively encouraged."

1 comment: